Tuesday, September 1, 2015

More Max FREE for 5 days!


Fun Cat Adventures

My second book of Tails From The Park is on Back to School Special.  Read more cat adventures with me and my friends and enemies in the park. Get your copy at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0112FF2E0

Here's a sample. A cat fight from the story The Burglar:

I dropped down onto the door sill and slipped out before the screen door had shut. I snuck around my Dad’s legs as he turned to answer Mom when she yelled, “Damn that cat. Honey, Max just got out and he’s on the deck.”
I went around the corner and stood at the top of the steps. At that moment Victoria, a broom in her hand, was swinging at my new nemesis. She almost got him, too! But he dodged all of her attempts and looked terribly upset with her. Winded, Victoria dropped the broom to the ground. Thinking she was finished, he crossed over to the street. As he did, Victoria made one last mighty effort and swung her broom at him in a wide arc, inches above the concrete. If she had connected with him he would have left in a hurry.
Not this alley cat… no way.  He stood his ground, ears pinned back and with a deep hiss, he turned. In the blink of an eye he leapt onto the broom and swatted at Victoria’s legs. She screamed and fell backwards onto her back steps. Taking his time, my foe turned and strolled away from her as if he owned the place. At the corner of her trailer , he backed up to the wall and let loose his scent. Now this beast had gone too far!
But, from The Burglar’s point of view , going "too far" was exactly his intent. Like all bullies, he always pushes to see who will and who won’t push back.
Mom poked her head out of the doorway. Dad spoke up, asking “Are you okay, Victoria?”
As Mom pushed Dad to the steps, she yelled out “Do something!”
Its OK, Mom. I thought I could take care of this bad boy myself, and jumped from the deck onto the blacktop. As I dashed across the street, The Burglar looked me straight in the eye. His eyes were dark, maybe even black, and showed no emotion as he reared up. I could see the muscles in his hind legs bulging out. His scraggily tail switched back and forth, slowly, not expending too much energy. He was saving himself for the battle to come.
He was old and twenty pounds at least. His head was gigantic, much bigger than I’d realized. And with that swipe of black fur across his face, it made him look dangerous – no EVIL.
Because I had to cross the street, to confront him, I had lost some control over the fight already. It was a poor choice on my part, for when we made contact in the end, I knew his greater weight would tell. My only chance was to meet him as soon as I could and that meant in the air.
My claws made that tippity tappity sound on the blacktop, the fur on my tail extended out like one of my mom’s cleaning brushes.  My ears were pinned back. I let out a deep savage “Moarhhhh” (that’s my fighting howl) to let him know it was me he had to deal with. I left the ground and soared through the air, claws extended. The burglar had now risen up to his full height. He leapt, too, and met me about three feet off the ground.
We hit each other with a loud bone-crushing thump. All at once we were a turning, snarling, blur of grey and white fur. You probably couldn’t distinguish where one of us started and where the other left off.
Suddenly it was hard to breathe and, to make matters worse, this beast stunk. The odor was like the alley cat he truly was. We hit the ground hard, he on his back and me hovering over him. Both of us were desperately trying to make contact with the soft flesh of the other’s neck. From behind me, I heard a movement. I could feel a human hand on my back and the sensation of being jerked away from my foe.
Read all the stories.
Life is best with Maxitude.
No Where Man: A misty morning.
All Buicks Great and Small: A Buick and a lost friend.
The Fortune Teller: Max get’s his fortune read and creates some word magic.
The Earth Moved Under My Paws: A leash, a quake, a dream, a run.
Pete and Repeat: Short and snappy.
Ka-Bing: Max goes to jail.
Heidi Fang: Adventure with a beauty.
The Burglar: A real cat fight!

If you like them as much as I had fun telling them, don't forget to join the Max Gang

Head bumps!

Max

No comments:

Post a Comment