Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Traveling Round

Dad's Truck


I'm always ready for an adventure, the front of Dad's truck is a good place to scope out what's going on in the world. 

My new book Tails From The Park (Series2) is out and Dad and I get into trouble with the police. I even get arrested for defending myself. Here's an excerpt from the story Ka-Bing about how I started it all.

Ka-Bing

The squad car’s rear door opened, and the K9 officer said, “I’ll have a look around in the back with Luke. Maybe there’s another party-goer we missed.”


When the Luke’s paws hit the blacktop his head came down as my ears snapped forward. I scooted backwards behind my dad’s leg. Dad’s hand hovered above me when the Shepherd lunged straight at us. The cop who held its leash, hadn’t attached it yet. For a fraction of a second everything stood still. Did I say everything? Well, everything but me. I turned and made a beeline to the middle of the deck.


My heart pounded in my ears. The Shepherd’s pointed ears were just visible over the top step. I had maybe two seconds before total disaster would be upon me. In between our deck and Melissa’s carport cover was a line of lemon trees. I drew myself down into a coiled position, building tension in my rear legs. I felt the deck rumble with the jolt of one hundred and thirty pounds of mean police dog, the policeman’s voice grumbled “Shit! My first day with this dog and all hell breaks loose.”

Now was my time to act.


I made the leap to the metal handrail then Ka-Binged, very gracefully I must say, straight up to the nearest tree branch just as the Shepherd snapped at my tail…I always forget about my tail.

I wrapped my front paws around the branch. My hind legs dangled like a monkey’s. It wasn’t going to hold me for very long either. I made myself as comfortable as I could, and looked down at my antagonist.


He jumped up at me, but his weight carried him over the handrail and onto the ground below. Meanwhile his handler was trying to get around Stan’s truck, while the other officer had his hands full with Melissa and her boyfriend. The police dog took a second leap at me but he fell short. Feeling safe, and tired of his antics I leaned down as much as I dared. I’m sure he thought I’d made a mistake. He barked a couple of times and made another attempt at me.


As he rose he seemed to move in slow motion. With his teeth bared his dog face was getting closer and closer and getting bigger, too. His front paws moved as if he were swimming. Being the local king of swat I took dead aim on his nose which stood out for the offing. My claws were extended to the point where they hurt, I cut loose and swatted my target with all my might. My index claw made contact as he came up. I watched as the claw sank in deep, really, really deep.


Dad’s voice rang out, “Max-x-x!”


As the dog fell away, blood spray filled the air as if it came out of the garden hose. He was yelping before he hit the ground. A bit of flesh fell from the tip of my claw as it retracted.

 Well, goes to show, I know how to create a stir. But, really, dogs being aggressive is not something I tolerate.

You can read Ka-Bing and more in Tails From The Park (Series 2). Head on over to Amazon to get your copy.

And, if you want to read in style, you can keep me in treats at the same time when you get your Kindle Paperwhite.

Comment below to tell me how you like Ka-Bing.  I love my readers.

Max

No comments:

Post a Comment