Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Opening Doors: A Guest Post from Tim Hammill

Guest post from Dad (Tim Hammill)

It's about me, so I think this is really cool. :)


Opening Doors


I have to say I was really impressed in what Max did today. I was in the bathroom, really minding my own business reading when in walked the dude himself.
     He sat beside the door and watched me. I could just see him out of my periphery vision and decided to ignore him. Good luck on that one fella.
     All of a sudden he wandered over and sat in front of the short cabinet that the sink is in. And like every other trailer and home in the world there is a small storage compartment there, with a door that closes over it.
     Now I’m not sure and Max never told me if he wanted that door open or if he in fact wanted to get up onto the counter top and then get into the sink to take one of his cat naps. But he stood up and placed his front paws on the top of the cabinet’s door and not the counter top. I could see him tense as he wound himself up to launch himself onto the counter top.
     This is where a little bit of imagination comes in on your part. Instead of flying straight up onto the counter top, the door swung open and little by little Max was forced to walk backwards on his rabbits footies until he was up against the bathroom door with no place to go. That is until he dropped his paws allowing the door to swing back a little.
     Not wanting to be jerk and embarrass him, I held my mug and didn’t laugh not one little bit. That is until he tried to do the same exact thing a second time and then a third with the same results each and every time.
     On his third try. I thought I have to go and get a camera. It only took seconds and I was back. Max was still in the bathroom sitting in front of the cabinet waiting. I sat down on the bathrooms floor up against the tub and waited too. Minutes passed but nothing happened.
     ‘Hmm’ I thought how could I help this along? Followed by this is going to be a great photograph.
     In short order I tried two, three, four different things to make my little guy repeat what he had done earlier three times in a row. I even flipped a length of toilet paper around which he swatted at but he wouldn’t move from the corner he was laying in. Nope this was shaping up to be a no-go. Finally I opened the door and he came around to gaze inside but that was all. I shut the door and helped him place his front paws up on the top of the door. Thinking that he’d get the picture cause you know he’s smart. Again nothing, well he started to howl at me and even swatted at his dad, what a mutt.
     No matter what I tried he wasn’t going for it. Finally I gave up and untangled my legs and stood, I left to take my camera back to my office. When I came back I looked into the bathroom, more out of curiosity than anything else and there to my chagrin was Max, his front paws up on the top of the door walking backwards until the door stopped and he stood there looking up at me a priceless expression on his furry face, of. “I did it… where were you?”

     I took this a learning experience that was way overdue for me….

Head bumps,
Max

No comments:

Post a Comment